The University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences & Research,Faridkot (UIPSR), is a constituent institute
of Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Faridkot (BFUHS), which is a lone Health Sciences university in
the State of Punjab and is one amongst the 13 Health Sciences universities in India.
The BFUHS is playing its incredible and vital role in the field of
Health Sciences & Research. The BFUHS came into existence in the year 1998 by an
enactment of Act, called - The BABA FARID UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES ACT, 1998 (Punjab Act No. 18 of 1998),
Notified by the Punjab Govt. in Gazette (Extra), July 22, 1998 (ASAR 31, 1920 SAKA), Notification No. 23-Leg/98
dated 22nd July, 1998.
The Baba Farid University of Health Sciences (BFUHS) was established at Faridkot under an Act of Punjab State
Legislature (Punjab Act No. 18 of 1998) in the name of great Sufi Saint Sheikh Farid Ganj-E-Shakar, (1173-1265
A.D.) in 1998 for purposes of affiliating, teaching and ensuring proper and systematic instructions, training and
research in modern system of Medicine and Indian System of Medicine. It is not only affiliating and examining body
but also a teaching and research centre in the field of health sciences. It is expected to play a vital role in
improving the standards of medical and health education in the state and in conducting relevant research in all
aspects of health sciences including basic as well as applied sciences, which ultimately will satisfy the health
standards of the people of Punjab. It is believed that the university will be a trend setter in developing
appropriate modes and models of health care to ensure quality health care to the people.
The UGC has included BFUHS in the list of recognized universities maintained by the University Grants Commission,
under section 2(f) of the UGC Act. 1956 vide letter no. F.9-3/97 (CPP-I) dated 4 July, 2002 and 12 (B) of the UGC
Act, 1956 vide Letter No. 9-3/97(CPP/I) dated 11.4.2011. The Regional Director, World Health Organization, Regional
Office for South-East Asia, World Health House, and New Delhi has also forwarded the name of the University for
inclusion in the World Directory of Medical Schools vide letter no. M12/6212 dated 6 May, 2002. The university has
also been included in the list of Commonwealth Universities and their yearbook 2001 at page no. 692 (Vol. l).
Established with a mission to create an intellectual, academic and physical environment conducive to free flow of
ideas and exchange of information among the various faculties of this university and other universities of health
sciences in the country and abroad, thereby opening a window to the world for the health professionals, health
planners, health managers, biomedical as well as social scientists and academicians in health sciences of the
country. Efforts are made to establish contact with various institutions towards achieving this goal. The
university is now primarily focusing on strengthening graduates and postgraduates in the field of Medical,
Paramedical Education and Research.
UNIVERSITY'S PRESENT STATUS:
The Hon'ble Chief Minister, Punjab inaugurated two new university buildings (Senate Block and Academic Block) on
22-09-2011. The university campus comprises of Senate Block, Academic Block, GGS Medical College along with an
Auditorium having 800 seating capacity, Drug De-addiction Centre, Telemedicine Centre, Edusat Centre and a well
equipped state-of-the-art 500 bedded hospital including Department
of Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine,
University College of Physiotherapy, University College of Nursing,
University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences & Research, Central Library, University
Center of Excellence in Research and Urban Health Center. The
University has developed its own Rose Garden and Herbal Garden with rare herbs.
The university has also started a number of employment-oriented diploma courses and certificate programs in
health sciences and allied services.
UNIVERSITY'S NEWLY ESTABLISHED PROJECTS:
University is on the way to establish:
1) Advanced Cancer Diagnostic, Treatment & Research Centre, Bathinda.
2) University Regional Centre for Public Health and Paramedical Sciences at Goindwal Sahib. University has 20
Acres of land for its Regional Center at Goindwal Sahib. Hon’ble Chief Minister, Punjab has already inaugurated
both the projects in October 2011. The University has planned to run a number of employment- oriented diploma
courses and certificate programmes in health sciences.
3) Super Specialty Block in GGS Medical Hospital, Faridkot
4) Mother & Child Care Block in GGS Medical College, Faridkot
5) University Institute of Paramedical Sciences, Faridkot
The University is also in a process of developing the following five study centres:
1. Centre for Distance Learning (Medical) and Educational Technology.
2. Centre for Health Systems and Health Services Management.
3. Centre for Bio-information Technology.
4. Centre for Human Resources Development and Health Management.
5. Centre for Population Sciences.
6. University Institute of Nursing, Jalalabad, Distt. Fazilka attached with upcoming 100 bedded Hospital.
UNIVERSITY'S CONSTITUENT COLLEGES:
1. University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, Faridkot
2. Guru Gobind Singh Medical College, Faridkot
3. University College of Nursing, Faridkot
4. University College of Physiotherapy, Faridkot
5. University Institute of Para-Medical Sciences, Faridkot
6. State Institute of Nursing and Para-Medical Sciences, Village – Badal (Muktsar)
7. Institute of Nursing, University Regional Centre, Shri Goindwal Sahib